Friday, May 22, 2009

Fargo v Simple Plan

So far Fargo and simple plan seem to be in 2 different categories. From what I have seen so far of Fargo, I cant help but think that it is a little ridicoulous and absurd, and even a lil annoying with the yeay. Know I want to finish the movie before I make any concrete judgements on it but it seems to be a tragic comedy.
A Simple Plan on the other hand was entirely serious. Since u were able to relate to the charachters at no point did there desicions seem absurd or there reactions ridicoulous. I like comedy if its funny and so far not one joke in Fargo has been funny. In a simple plan there was plenty of good comic relief.

The fight between these 2 movies isnt over but Simple Plan takes round 1.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with everything you said here, it was right on the mark. Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The two films are utterly dissimilar. A snowy landscape and a bunch of murders, notwithstanding, one is dead serious, the other is a farce. So, it's not fair to compare the two.

    I want to finish as well, but I think my conclusion will be that Fargo represents the superior artistic vision. But, maybe not.

    Regardless of all that, my thinking on the two movies mirrors yours exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say Fargo is the much better film, but your reason for liking A Simple Plan better is reasonable. However, since you said yourself that the films are completely dissimilar, what is your opinion of Fargo alone? Pretend A Simple Plan doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that the jokes in Fargo are not laugh out loud funny, but it uses a more satirical and dark humor that isn't exactly funny but it more plays on the absurd of people in general. Like when the 2 teenagers are killed, you are not supposed to take it seriously but instead mock its ridiculousness.

    Despite that, I am waiting for a good conclusion to Fargo because although the film making in terms of cinematography and script is far superior, A Simple Plan was more pulled together at this point.

    I still think it is still too early to judge Fargo though, but so far I have seen flaws in both films.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I expressed today in class my thoughts on this film today aren't very high. I believe that there are 2 many loose ends and very little charachter development. Maybe this was needed to convey the theme that we dont know where others are coming from...but I dont want to see a movie about basically nothing then.

    The movie was dark and had annoying things to it, the charachters, the accents, the eating.. by the end of the movie I was saying to myself how I wanted all the main charachters just to die.
    That was one thing I found interesting about this film there was no charachter I liked, I hated them all

    ReplyDelete